Vienna, October 2022
We are finally back!!!
The third edition of the ESACT Frontiers Retreat is going to take place from the 26th to 29th of October 2022 in Vienna.
These meetings are dedicated to early career scientists working in the cell culture technology and related fields. We aim to continue engaging the next generation of ESACT scientists and to encourage those who have not attended previous ESACT meetings to actively participate in this community.
Frontiers retreats are not classical meetings: they are built on sessions and tools to provide participants career and personal development skills, to stimulate their creative thinking emerging from interaction with peers and to promote active networking among the participants. They also aim to stimulate scientific discussions and help to bridge the gap between industry and academia.
The Scientific Sessions are an amazing opportunity for the participants to present their work. Most of the oral presentations slots are saved for young researchers who will be selected from high-quality submitted abstracts. We have prizes for best oral presentation and best poster presentation.
The Career and Personal Development Sessions will help you to develop personal skills and extend your professional network. Few things are as important for a young scientist as good soft skills and a great network: take this opportunity to improve or start building yours!
This meeting is open to the entire community, including NON-ESACT members.
So save the dates: 26th to 29th October 2022.
Looking forward to meeting you in Vienna!
ESACT Frontiers Retreat Program
Although abstract submission is not mandatory to attend the meeting, we encourage you to submit an abstract on original work to be presented as oral communication or poster panel. Note that having an accepted abstract will be a selection criterion in the case of registration limitations. It is also a criterion for applying to meeting bursaries. Since this meeting is especially dedicated to early career young scientists, we will also ask you to provide the following information:
- Academic qualifications
- Current position
Note that there are no specific age/position restrictions but in the case of registration limitations, priority will be given to students (Master/ Ph.D.) or young professionals with less than 7 years after completing their last degree. Also, in case of registration limitation, priority will be given to submissions from delegates who have not previously attended a Frontiers Retreat. The Abstract Submission form is available below. Submissions will be accepted until August 8th 2022. Successfully submitted abstracts will be acknowledged with an electronic receipt. Abstract acceptance will be notified as soon as possible in late August/early September 2022.
Abstract preparation guidelines:
- Abstracts must be submitted in English (.doc(x) files)
- Maximum abstract length is 500 words
- Abstracts should include relevant and detailed information about the work to be presented, divided into the following sections: i) background and novelty; ii) experimental approach; iii) results and discussion.
- Use our file template to write your abstract and name the file with your name and category code (i.e.: Surname_Forename_CODE) Click here to download our abstract file template.
- Codes for Category:
- VVV tag for “Vaccines and viral vectors”
- CLDE tag for Cell line development and engineering”
- PDO tag for “Process development and optimization”
- NMA tag for “New methods and analytics in cell culture”
- CTDD tag for “Cells for toxicology and drug screening”
- SCRM tag for “Stem cells & regenerative medicine”
- DAM tag for “Digitalization and Modeling”
- Note: If your abstract matches with different categories, please include them all in the file name of your abstract (i.e.: Surname_Forename_CODE1_CODE2) and select the main one from the drop-down menu in the submission form.
Abstracts will be selected by a Scientific Committee according to their quality and will be proposed for oral or poster presentations in the different scientific sessions. Abstracts containing limited detail will not be accepted.
Accommodation / Travelling Information
The 3rd ESACT Frontiers Retreat will take place from 26th to 29th October 2022 in Vienna, Austria. Conference and accommodation will be at the same place for you to make the most of your time to enjoy the sessions, the workshops and to network with your peers.
Mariahilfer Gürtel 22-24
Registration and Fee
Registration with / without abstract
Early Registration – 250 euros: July 4th to September 25th 2022
Late Registration – 300 euros: September 25th to October 9th 2022
The registration fee includes participation in the meeting and social activities as well as hotel accommodation for the nights of 26th, 27th, and 28th of October 2022.
Bursaries : CLOSED
We know meeting fees can be a limitation for students and young researchers. Thus, ESACT Frontiers defined a reduced fee covering registration, hotel accommodation, and main meals during our meeting.
If this is still too much for you, contact us. The European Society for Animal Cell Technology (ESACT) strives to encourage and facilitate the participation of students and young researchers in all ESACT-related meetings and events by sponsoring conference bursaries.
- Abstract submission is not mandatory but highly encouraged.
- Applicant must be a Ph.D./Master’s student (proof of affiliation will be required) or an early career Post-Doctoral researcher/Industrial Scientist/Engineer. If over-subscribed priority will be given to scientists/engineers in the first 7 years of research following completion of the degree (copy of diploma/certificate will be required).
- A letter from your supervisor is requested to support the need for a traveling bursary.
- If an abstract was submitted, the work presented in the paper will be judged by the Scientific Committee (on the basis of the abstract submitted) and must be of high quality.
- Limited bursaries will be awarded. In case of more applications fulfilling the basic criteria, the Scientific Committee reserves the right to rank according to the scientific quality and relevance of the work to Animal Cell Technology field.
- Bursary applications submitted after the deadline will no be accepted. Applications to the Bursaries for 2022 retreat are no longer accepted.
Organizing Committee / Sponsors
- Bernhard Sissolak, Bilfinger Life Science (Vienna, Austria)
- Claire Pearce, Xap Therapeutics (Cambridge, UK)
- Igor Slivac, University of Zagreb (Zagreb, Croatia)
- Nuša Pristovšek, Novo Nordisk A/S (Måløv, Denmark)
- Paulo Fernandes, Orchard Therapeutics (London, UK)
- Ricardo Valdés-Bango Curell, CURELL SUÑOL – IP Attorneys (Barcelona, Spain)
- Verena Lohr, Sanofi (Frankfurt, Germany)
- Hirra Hussain, CPI (Leeds, UK)
- Nikolas Zeh, Boehringer Ingelheim (Biberach, Germany)
- Alexander Nikolay, Miltenyi Biotech (Bergisch Gladbach, Germany)
- Valentine Chevallier, UCB Pharma (Braine l’alleud, Belgium)
Previous Frontiers Retreats
- 1st ESACT Frontiers Retreat took place in Lyon from the 20th to 22nd October 2016
Check out the video –> 1st ESACT Frontiers Retreat Lyon
- 2nd ESACT Frontiers Retreat was held in Zagreb from the 17th to the 19th of October 2018.